The Rocky Mountain Map Society is a non-profit organization dedicated to the
study and appreciation of maps and other items of cartographic interest.
The Society was formed in 1991 and is based in Denver, Colorado.
Most meetings are held on Tuesday evenings at the Denver Public Library, 5th Floor, Gates Room, at 5:30 PM.
Mission Statement and Outreach
The Rocky Mountain Map Society
is a non-profit organization dedicated to the study and appreciation of
maps, cartographic history, the history of exploration and discovery,
maps as art, and other areas of cartographic interest. Public outreach
by the Society to provide education in maps and history is performed by
providing speakers, exhibits, and instruction to its members as well as
to public schools, adult education programs, and other outside forums.
- It has co-sponsored with the Denver Public Library an annual Antique
Map Fair with lectures and dealer displays from around the world.
- The Society is a founding member of the Council of North American Map
Societies and works closely with the Geography and Map Division of the
Library of Congress.
- Recognized internationally, the Society has hosted the
2001 Annual Meeting of the Society for the History of Discoveries,
the 2005 Conference of the International Map Collectors Society,
the 2012 Mapping of North America: Westward Expansion Conference,
all held in Denver, and the 2018 Annual Meeting of the Society for the
History of Discoveries held in Golden.
- The Society also annually
sponsors and hosts a series of lectures by nationally recognized
scholars on Monday evenings during Map Month May at the Denver
Board of Directors
- President and Director: Angel Abbud-Madrid
- RMMS information
- E-mail Angel Abbud-Madrid
Email RMMS President
- Vice President and Director: James Speed Hensinger
- Information technology
- E-mail Jim Hensinger
- Jim's personal Web site
- Founder, Treasurer and Director: Wesley Brown
- Dues and membership
- E-mail Wesley Brown
- Mailing Address: Rocky Mountain Map Society
1790 Hudson St.
Denver, CO, 80220
- Secretary and Director: Lorraine Sherry
- E-mail Lorraine Sherry
- Lorraine's personal Web site
- Program Chair: Naomi Heiser
- Regular meetings and special events
- E-mail Naomi Heiser
- CONAMS Representative: Paul Mathias
- Outreach to other Map Societies
- E-mail Paul Mathias
- Director: Tom Overton
- E-mail Tom Overton
- Director: Don McGuirk
- Annual Scholar Lecture Coordinator
- E-mail Don McGuirk
- Director: Christopher Lane
- Map Month May Coordinator
- E-mail Chris Lane
- Director: Vincent Szilagyi
- Website Development
- E-mail Vincent Szilagyi